Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Meatless Monday

I decided to embrace Meatless Monday.  I found a recipe for a chilled dish that required no cooking (other than defrosting the rice), and I could make up at in the back room at work.  I stopped at the grocery store on my way to work, recipe in hand. 

Apparently January 2 is NOT the day to look for Black Eyed Peas.  I've not heard of this tradition before, but learned about it in my quest to make this dish.  Not a can or frozen bag to be found.  None.  Zilch.  Nada. 

I did some substitutions.  Between substitutions for things I don't like and not being able to find black eyed peas, it ended up as...
  • 1 can black beans, drained (instead of black eyed peas)
  • 1 cup brown rice
  • Diced bell pepper (instead of celery, blech!)
  • Bunch Diced green onions
  • Diced tomato
  • 1/3 tube Basil (instead of fresh parsley)
  • Two tablespoons minced garlic
  • I did not add the tablespoon of lemon juice.
Mix in large container, chill for an hour.
It was really good.  I've let the leftovers chill since last night, and it's really smelling amazing.  I probably overdid the garlic, but you can never have enough garlic!

No comments:

Post a Comment