Sunday, October 9, 2011

Fish Oil, Flaxseed Oil, Coconut Oil, Oh My!

Several times in the last few weeks I've heard about the evils of Fish Oil. How it can have mercury, how quickly it goes rancid, etc.

A friend told me his doctor has him on a "pharmaceutical grade" fish oil tablet. I find it hard to believe that such a product exists since the FDA does not oversee supplements!  What the heck kind d of doctor does he have??  I am so appalled by this I just want to shake my friend for buying in to this myth.

That got under my skin.  I started paying attention.  Fish oil goes bad quickly, regardless of the "grade". Often it spoils IN THE CAPSULES.  There are studies and tests that prove it. Fish Oil is best when free of mercury and fresh. Very hard to achieve.

I read about this years ago and stopped taking it. And I have many friends whose doctors continue to recommend it. They share their stories and I bite my tongue. 

Anyone who takes anything should do the research.

Anyone who takes anything should do the research! 

I can tell you the benefits and side effects of my blood pressure medicine, my potassium supplement (which I HATE), the Zyrtec and the Prilosec (which I take every other day).  Nothing goes I to my body, supplement or meds, without my being informed.  I demand it.

But people don't do that with the popular supplements.  And Fish Oil is popular.

Flaxseed Oil and Coconut Oil are excellent replacements.  Two tablespoons a day of each is what I shoot for.  Listening to the 12 Steps to Whole Foods has cemented that for me. 

Flaxseed Oil is to be kept refrigerated and should not be heated. Put some in a smoothly or a salad dressing.  The benefits of flaxseed oil are amazing! I choose oil over ground seeds because its easier for me.

Coconut Oil can be heated and therfore is excellent for cooking. I also put it on my face, hands, and elbows at night. And since I like coconut, I have started using it like butter on the occassional slice of bread.  I have many friends who use it. It comes in a solid form, looks like shortening.  Refrigerate it if you live in a warm climate and it melts.
Have I grossed you out??

No comments:

Post a Comment